King & Spalding is committed to having the brightest and most diverse lawyers it can find, including members of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) community. We work hard to foster and maintain an environment where our lawyers can provide the highest level of legal service while being true to themselves in the process. The firm's non-discrimination policy prohibits discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity. Further, same-sex domestic partner benefits are offered.
- 2013 Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index Rating of 90 out of 100 (achieving top score in 7 of 8 categories).
Facts and Figures
King & Spalding encourages and supports its partners, counsel, and associates taking leadership roles in organizations serving the LGBT community:
- New York associate Laura Westfall was named a Rising Star in New York Super Lawyers-Metro. The list is published by a unit of Thomson Reuters.
- The firm’s LGBT Affinity Group provides opportunities for partners, attorneys, and counsel throughout the firm to interact and collaborate on diversity efforts, including recent LGBT-themed continuing legal education programs on such topics as marriage equality and LGBT health-care issues.
King & Spalding actively recruits LGBT law students and seeks opportunities to partner with LGBT student organizations to help their members successfully navigate the process of moving from law student to lawyer. The firm annually attends Lavender Law, the National LGBT Bar Association’s conference and career fair. LGBT law students are eligible to apply for the King & Spalding Diversity Fellowship, which provides for a paid Summer Associate position, as well as an additional $10,000 in recognition of outstanding academic achievement and leadership to candidates from a diverse background.
King & Spalding also provides ongoing support for various LGBT-related community organizations. Among others, the firm has engaged with:
- Houston’s PFLAG / HATCH Youth Scholarship Foundation
- The National LGBT Bar Association’s Out & Proud Corporate Counsel Receptions
- Empire State Pride Agenda
- AIDS Walk Atlanta
- Georgia Equality’s Annual “Evening for Equality” Awards
- Lambda Legal’s annual Garden Party celebration in Atlanta
- The Stonewall Bar Association of Georgia’s annual awards dinner
- The Atlanta “Out on Film” Festival